Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reflection on "The Soldier"

Singapore has National Service, Malaysia has Khidmat Negara. The difference is that all male Singaporeans are required to attend National Service, but Malaysia does not make Khidmat Negara compulsory for all Malaysians.

Through Khidmat Negara, people will have a sense of belonging of being a Malaysian holding Malaysian's IC, and this will make them to be more patriotic to Malaysia. It may be unnecessary for a resident in Malaysia to attend Khidmat Negara since Malaysia has no war, but it will encourage the people to have the will to serve the country better. So, we should not blame the country but to appreciate such training provided by the government.

Khidmat Negara has somehow instilled patriotism on me, I will take it as a opportunity for me to train myself. It would not be a torture, it just depends on the mindset of the person. Since I do not participate in Khidmat Negara before, I cannot really feel the sense of patriotism in the deepest of my heart.

Back to the poem, the soldier expressed his patriotism and love towards the country. This can be seen from the literary devices he had used in the poem, he left a wonderful impression of England to the readers. He conveyed that he was borned in England, and he had to repay the country by sacrificing himself in the battlefield to achieve victory for England. He did not regret to die for the country, he thought that it was the most glorious moment in his life.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Wei Hng,

    I am Jia Neng. Good that you have a positive mindset about the "national service" in malaysia. Even though it may be tough, you can take it as an opportunity to train up. I agree with you that national service is very important in all countries. National service can allow people to have a sense of belonging to the country as well as provides the opportunity for people to get trained for the crisis(in the future).

    I disagree with you that there is no war in malaysia. You may never know whether there would be war in malaysia in the future. Hence, the "national service" in malaysia also serves to train people to defend malaysia if a war breaks out.

    Thank you. Please comment on my blog. [ http://literatureviewed.blogspot.com ]


    Best Regards,
    Ng Jia Neng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wei Hng Li Yuan here. You mentioned that "It may be unnecessary for a resident in Malaysia to attend Khidmat Negara since Malaysia has no war, but it will encourage the people to have the will to serve the country better.", I agree that it will encourage the people to be more patriotic, but I do not agree that Khidmat Negara is unnecessary. Although the world is very peaceful, but there are still wars going on, and we do not know when Malaysia will be attacked. Let me take World War Two as an example. When Japan invaded Malaysia and Singapore within months, did anything one thought that Japan will invade us successfully using only months' time? No, and the British actually did do some preparation, is just that their cannon is facing the wrong direction (=='). If preparation has been done and is still not enough, what if there is no preparation at all? Of course, a preparation is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wei Hng,

    I am Jerome. I have heard that Malaysia's National Service is quite tough for the Chinese and Indians as they are given less food and and being mistreated. But I am happy to know that you are positive towards National Service. You know the benefits that National Service gives and are willing to accept that fact.

    I share the same thoughts as Jia Neng and disagree with you when you said that there is no war in Malaysia. I think you interpreted it wrongly. I should be "malaysia has very few wars" or "Malaysia has a lower chance of having wars". Anyway, no matter what, you may never know when there will be a war so you must always be prepared.

    Overall a good blog prompt.

    Please comment on my blog too!:) (http://the-world-of-volkswagen.blogspot.com/)

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Mysterian, 6 years later and still goin' strong!